OK, most of us have laughed when we heard the joke about the not so clever celebrity (insert name of choice) who cheered when they finished the jigsaw puzzle in 2 hours proclaiming that it stated 4 – 12 years on the box.
My question to you is ” How long would that jigsaw take to complete if there was no picture on the box?” – My guess is that it would take a lot longer and depending on the size of the puzzle could be near impossible.
As a child I was taught that the quickest way to complete a jigsaw puzzle, whatever the size, is to fully review the picture, sort out the corners and the straight edges, then sort out the other pieces into similar colours. The next stage would be to put the corners in place and work out from each with the straight edges. Once we have the framework in place it would be a case of choosing an area and working to get that correct until the whole jigsaw is complete. The only glitch in this process would be missing pieces in which case it may take a little longer to have a near complete jigsaw, obviously in my house the missing piece is either in my hand or one of the kids so that we can say we have finished the puzzle.
I’m sure that other people have different ways of completing a jigsaw puzzle and possibly even prefer to do it with a scatter gun approach to challenge themselves.
The interesting thing for me is that a number of business owners also take the same approach to building their businesses; no picture to work from, no systems, plus they hold on to pieces. Some of them are also prone to taking a scatter gun approach to development and growth.
A business can very easily be compared to a jigsaw puzzle and you will find a number of experts and consultants who will, quite rightly in some cases, tell you that they are ‘the missing piece in your puzzle’. A good business coach will never be the missing piece, a good business coach will be there to help you to finish your puzzle in the quickest, most effective way so that you gain the maximum performance and results.
5 Ways to Ensure You Finish Your Business Jigsaw Puzzle Faster.
- Understand and have a clear picture of how your business looks when it is finished (whatever that means to you).
- Put the correct corners and framework into place, i.e. understand your products, your market, your finances and your people.
- Never hold on to the pieces, the sooner you can systemise and delegate the better. This does not need to be to a direct employee, the modern business will grow faster by using outsourced experts.
- Be continually putting pieces into place and reviewing where you are. Results are gained by taking actions and reviewing those actions – Ready, Fire, Aim not Ready, Aim, Fire (Jack Canfield’s Success Principles).
- Make mistakes and correct them without beating yourself up and having a ‘pity party’. Life and business is a learning process with two results; good things and lessons.
If you would like some help putting your puzzle together in a more efficient, profitable way we would be more than happy to spend some time with you to help you to discover the finished picture and possibly your exit strategy.