It is so very easy to go to a networking event, have some nice food and chat to those you know on a superficial level.
The real skill at these events is to add value to the meeting and the people you want to enhance relationships with. Networking should be about creating partnerships which support each other and not just in a financial sense.
Which level are your relationships at?
1) You know them to chat to and generally remember their name.
2) You have a reasonable relationship and would refer business to them if somebody asked you.
3) Your relationship is one of mutual respect, you both understand each others business, the type of introduction you are looking for and you regularly go out of your way to find business for each other.
Obviously the more relationships you have at level 3 the stronger your business will be.
5 Tips for Building Level 3 Relationships
1) Have frequent 1 to 1 meetings to get to understand each others business.
2) Socialise with each other, learn about hobbies, interests and family.
3) Have referral lunches where you both bring a potential introduction for each other.
To find out more about this read Jeffrey Gitomer’s “Little Black Book of Connections”.
4) Read, learn and implement useful things from any of the great books about relationship building and networking.
I am happy to make recommendations if you need it.
5) Use a quality CRM system and keep it up to date with useful facts about your connections.
BONUS POINT: Make sure you connect with them on LinkedIN.
Networking could and should be one of the most productive ways of building a strong business. What are you doing to make sure your network provides you with a fantastically profitable and stable business, plus gives you the satisfaction that you are helping others to have the same.
Call Brian on 01604 214695 if your network is not providing your business with what it needs.
Please connect with me on LinkedIN if you aren’t already. http://www.linkedin.com/in/brianwrigley